Rajma madra is a regional speciality of Himachal Pradesh.It is a famous Himachali dish, cooked in yogurt with pure ghee and few spices .I tasted this dish last year, when we visited to Kullu -Manali. .We all liked it very much.Every person has somewhat different style of cooking it.But yogurt is the main ingredients in this recipe.I have tried his recipe at home based on method described by restaurant’s chef .Hope you will also enjoy & love this.
- Rajma/ kidney beans 250 grams
- Fresh yogurt 1 kg
- Pure ghee 4 tablespoon
- Cloves 5 nos
- Green cardamom 4 nos
- Big cardamom 2 nos
- Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted fennel seed powder 1 teaspoon
- Roasted fenugreek seed powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Bay leaf 1
- Water 2 cups
- Wash and soak Rajma overnight.Pressure cook Rajma on high heat for 1 whistle and keep the flame low for 12 to 15 minutes or till rajma become tender
- Beat the curd and keep aside.
- Now take the heavy bottomed pan or kadhai.Heat 3 tablespoon of pure ghee and add all the whole spices with bay leaf,asafoetida.When starts spluttering turn off the flame.
- Then add beaten curd and stir continuously ,turn on the flame and continue to cook on medium flame.Keep stirring the yogurt continuously and let it boil.when the yogurt starts thickening ,keep cooking till it become little brown.
- Now add roasted fennel seeds powder,fenugreek powder and boiled rajma along with little water and mix well .Cover with lid and cook for 5 to 7 minutes.Add garam masala powder and turn off the flame
- At the time of serving seasoning it with 1 tablespoon pure ghee with 1/4 teaspoon of red chilli powder ( optional)
- SERVE HOT WITH CHAPATI OR RICE
NOTE : One thing is very important in this recipe,yogurt should not be curdled,to avoid this keep stirring the yogurt well