Matar(green peas) ka Nimona is a winter special tasty dish.It is a speciality of Uttar Pradesh.There are many variations of making matar ka nimona.It can be with potato or with stew only or with vadi,or with spinach. In this matar ka nimona, I have added fried potato cubes with fresh green peas paste.This recipe is cooked in pure ghee and mustard oil which gives it a very distinct flavour.
- Fresh green peas 2 cups(peeled)
- Potato medium 1(cut in cubes)
- Onion medium 1 (chopped)
- Tomato medium 1 (chopped)
- Ginger 1 tablespoon
- Garlic 1 tablespoon(optional)
- Green chillies 2
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil 2 tablespoon
- Pure ghee 2 tablespoon
- Water 1 cup
- Bay leaf 1
- Coriander leaves 1 tablespoon
- Grind the peas with green chillies in two parts.One part is fine paste by using water and make other part is roughly coarsed paste.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan ,add potato cubes till golden brown,drain and keep aside.
- Now add cumin seeds and bay leaf,when starts spluttering add onion, ginger garlic paste till the raw aroma goes away.
- Now add coriander, cumin powder,tomato and salt and saute for 3to 4 minutes.
- Then add green peas paste cook till its raw aroma goes away. Add ghee and water and mix well(amount of water depends upon the thickness of gravy you want)
- When gravy starts boiling add fried potatoes and cook on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes.Add garam masala powder and turn off the flame.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves with small amount of pure ghee and serve hot .It goes well with poori, paratha and rice.