LAL Paneer or Tamatar Chaman is very famous Kashmiri recipe and normally people prefer this with Rice. The ingredients like fennel (saunf) and dried ginger powder (sonth / sundh), resulting in a superb cuisine-defining dish.
- 250 gram paneer, cut into 2-inch x 1 inch x 1-inch pieces
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leave
- 1 piece cinnamon, 2-inches
- 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder,
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ginger powder (sonth)
- 100 ml tomato puree or make puree from Red fresh 4 medium size Tomato
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in kadhai and deep fry paneer on low heat light golden brown . The remaining oil will be used for preparation.
- Now dry roast green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, and cinnamon for about a minute add remaining oil and stir well; add ginger and garlic pastes, and stir continuously till lightly browned and add red chilli powder, dried ginger powder (sonth), and ¼ cup water; stir and continue to cook till oil leaves the masala
- Add tomato puree and cook for 5 to 6 minutes then add fennel powder (saunf) cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Add 300 ml water, stir well to mix, then add all fried paneer, followed by garam masala powder and salt. Stir gently, then cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Remove lid and in simmer till the gravy has thickened about 10 to 15 minutes.
Server hot with steamed rice
Acknowledgment: Thanks to the Ramada Jammu where I had tested this dish !