Gajar ki kanji or fermented carrot drink is nutritious drink.It helps in digestion.It is low calorie drink normally made with black carrot but any type of carrot can be used.
- Black carrot- 250 grams
- Water – 2 liters
- Black mustard powder -2 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
- Normal salt to taste
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard oil – 1 tablespoon
- Peeled ,washed, cut carrots into 2 inch batons.Take a big glass jar,clean and sterilize it.
- Boil water in a pan,add carrot batons and switch off the gas.
- Allow mixture to cool down ,then add all the spices and salt.
- Por the Kanji mixture in the dry jar and close the lid tightly.
- Keep the jar in the sunlight for 4/5 days(in winter). In summer 2 days are enough for fermentation.
- If there is no sunlight ,keep the jar in a warm place and allow it to fermentation.
- Stir with a dry spoon every day. (*Note)
TO MAKE VADAS
- Dhuli Moong( 1 cup )
- Dhuli urad( 1/2 cup )
- Ginger 1 inch
- Green chillies 2
- Asafoetida 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soaked both dal overnight
- Wash and grind with ginger,green chillies and asafoetida and make thick batter
- Heat the oil and fry the vadas till golden brown.
- Soak the Vadas in warm water for 10 minutes.Add little salt and 1/2 teaspoon roasted cumin powder(optional) in the water.
- Press the vadas between palms of your hand to squeeze excess water.
- Add vadas in the kanji drink and leave for 5/6 hours.
*NOTE : When drinks starts souring it means the Gajar Kanji is ready.