GAHAT(kulath) DAL KE KOFTE
Horse Gram is a very popular food in the northern hilly regions of india specially in uttarakhand locally known as Gahat/Kulath Dal .It has lots of health benefits.Gahat or Kulath is also well known for its positive impact on kidneys stone removal.
- Gahat Dal 250 grams
- Onion medium(chopped) 2
- Tomato medium(chopped)2
- Ginger +garlic paste 2 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Bay leaf 1
- Green chillies 2 nos
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Mustard oil 3 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Soak the Gahat ki dal in water for 5 to 6 hours.Wash and clean the dal and make a coarse paste with green chillies,1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- Now heat the appe pan with little oil.Make a medium size balls from dal paste .Cook these balls in appe pan from both sides till golden brown.Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan,add bay leaf and remaining cumin seeds.
- Now add chopped onion,fry till light golden.Add ginger garlic paste,saute for 5 minutes or till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes away.
- Add chopped tomatoes,salt and saute till tomatoes become soft.Add all spices and saute till it leaves oil.
- Add water,when boiling starts cover the pan and turn the flame on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes
- Add cinnamon powder and koftas in the gravy and immediately turn off the flame.
- Serve immediately and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
NOTE -Do not over cook the koftas because it is very soft and become meshy due to its softness.
Serve with Rice and Kumaoni Raita